Thursday, December 17, 2009

I think I'll Have some Furoshiki, Please











This year I'm being extra crafty, frugal and environmentally conscientious. I wanted to wrap gifts in an absolutely reusable material.

Yes, you should definitely reuse gift bags (why not, right?). There's the idea of using comics from the Sunday paper as wrapping paper. I even threw around the idea of repurposing cereal, cracker, and pasta boxes into small gift boxes (I'll probably revisit that idea later).

What I have available is a footlocker basket size amount of fabric. I had thoughts of an all-in-one ribbon attached wrapping fabric. Searching for any already patterned ideas on the Internet, I stumbled upon a very old Japanese method called "furoshiki". I'll spare you the definition, history, and techniques (you all know how to google), but the idea is so simple and effective.

A 28" square piece of fabric in an interesting pattern with a locking stitch all around the edge (I think that's the correct name...I know how to sew, but am definitely far from a trained expert) , or, you can do a 29" square and fold and iron a 1/2" all the way around (twice) and miter the edges; you choose what you like better, of course one is more time consuming. This square can be folded over and tied to make a nice wrapping, or you can google different tying methods. Use smaller pieces of fabric for smaller items and larger pieces of fabric for larger items, but the 28" size fits a wide range of items and you can successfully wrap oddly shaped gifts.

Oh, by the way if you don't have a surplus of fabric, don't run out to Joanns (although I love, love that store). Try your thrift stores first. You'll find fabric a little cheaper
and more likely to find vintage patterns.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, if you have the space, save all those small boxes, bubble wrap, and bubble envelopes your orders come in. Also save crumpled tissue from gifts. You can reuse all of this stuff the next time you mail something and save yourself sometimes as much as a dollar or two or three. When I mail my Christmas gifts and etsy orders, almost all the shipping materails are from something I received in the mail.(Thanks Mom for teaching me your saving money ways.)

    ReplyDelete