Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Greetings from the U.P.
















I am very excited to introduce to you: Mr.and Mrs. Port Lee. They have come for a visit and are very welcome to be here, unfortunately, we don't know for how long.
Mike and I created these plump forms while Bits was napping and then had him help with the features when he woke up. The whole creation was something in itself. The top two inches of snow had warmed up just enough to be packable, the foot or more underneath, not so much. We used snow shovels to scoop big mounds together, and I put a little of my sculpture experience to carve into the piles and add where necessary (that part of my education proved well worth it, don't you think?). It's quite difficult to build up in height when you're piling up somewhat uncooperative snow.

Mr. Port Lee ended up a little more stout than planned, but like Mike said, "We need to represent all body types of snowmen. Even portly snowmen can wear ties."

When we moved onto Mrs. Port Le-ettea, the goal was to make her taller and skinnier. Instead we ended up with a gal with quite a ba-dunk-a-dunk and appearing to be ready to have twins. Oh well, I giggle every time (and I really do mean every time) I see them. Our neighbor kindly said, "They're different. They don't look like regular snowmen."

If the weather could give us one more warming up day, we could add a Little Port Lee.

2 comments:

  1. I love them! Can't wait to see the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun melted the pebbles into little frozen pockets, and the buttons fell off. They may need to leave and return for a visit later, hopefullY with a little Port Lee

    ReplyDelete