Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lake Superior Iceberg
















Much to our disappointment, especially for Bits, when we went to church today, we found that service had been cancelled.
We grabbed a brunch snack from McDonald's (bacon for the Bacon Bits) and headed to Little Girls Point.

It was cold today, but seemed less windy at the Big Lake. I actually had my camera with me by some rare chance and snapped some pics before my battery died. Last winter in South Haven, the water, snow, and wind would create these big oval globulars of pure ice. Much to my amusement I found similar globulars along this lake. Most of the famous rocky Superior shoreline was covered with ice and snow, and the stones that remained peeking out were frozen to the ground beneath them. I had a comical moment of trying to pick up a couple beauties to no avail, like finding a quarter super-glued to cement.

Bits outlasted Mommy, who clearly was less prepared than the boys, wearing my church attire which is more style conscious than practical for winter U.P. outdoor time. We viewed a Lake Superior iceberg, which could easily be mistaken for one off of Alaska, and had a great time in general at one of our favorite Great Lakes. Winter will not keep us from visiting the Big Lake.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures of The Point. Thanks so much for taking them and sharing with us. It is my favorite spot no matter if it's snow and ice covered or hot and sunny. Great to see it. Enjoy every minute you can up there Amy! I just made our summer reservations for camping at LGP. Can't get here soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we like the Lake; rain, snow, or sun...petty cold though in our Sunday best...Hope you have a great time there on vacay!...we really like to picnic there at the park on sunny days

    ReplyDelete