Saturday, January 23, 2010

Say What?---You're Supposed to wear Skis on Cross Country Ski Trails---Who Knew?


































































































Normally I don't post so late and normally I don't post twice in the same day, but I'm going to break the rules, just this once, because today was too much fun to squeeze into one entry.

We all woke up at a decent time and left home by noon (a real accomplishment for this extremely unfashionably late clan). We debated over Presque Isle or Silver City, having already turned to go to the former, we U-turned and headed to Silver City.
I have what is becoming an obsession for blue skies, but today was definitely not a blue sky day. It was a full overcast shroud of gray which worked in our favor when we made it to the Big Lake. I cannot recall ever embracing the beauty of birch trees, like I had today. Instead of a bright sun washing out their small bits of color, the blueish gray sky complemented the hints of peach in their bark, and I could not love them more.

We ventured to a short trail (about a mile) that was groomed (as I later found out for cross country skiers) and perfect for hiking and pulling a sled. Whether or not our winter boot tracks were ok on this path, I'm not sure, but we sure enjoyed our hike nonetheless. We traveled up the snowy, icy beach and took time to listen to the waves crashing against the ice buildup and the trees creaking in the slight wind.

The temp was warm enough to pack down the snow, and melt some ice. Water drops ran under icy sheets on boulders. It instantly reminded me of the colored water and oil plexi cylinders that would drip into each other through a slotted center panel. Thin layers also covered the piled up rocks and with the melting, rounded edges peeked out of their egg like shells. Bits sure loves his hikes and eagerly cautions us with "more ice there".
No gloves were lost on this trail today and we headed for a dinner at Mike's cafe of choice.

*disclaimer: Please don't mind the plenitude of photos. This was one of my favorite winter days, and I wanted to share as much of what I was lucky to see with all of you. Also, the face Bits is making in the photo with me is his smiling face when he poses for a photo, he did not just growl.

No comments:

Post a Comment